Thursday, January 17, 2008

Songtown - Vol. 10 (Eanie Meany)

Artist: Jim Noir
Song: Eanie Meany
Album: Tower Of Love
Year: 2006

Download





Alright! Let's get down to it! As we've previously discussed, back when I worked at "Traders," we got a lot of promo CDs in it. I usually caught all of the good stuff, but occasionally, I'd leave it up to my co-worker, TambourineMan, to find the ones that slipped through the cracks. Thus, one day he played one of the best CDs of 2006 on the stereo. It was so beautiful, that even after the 5th listen, I still didn't really realize any music was playing. It was just so naturally perfect that I heard it as just being more of a sound of life than anything. I eventually caught on and realized it was this Tower Of Love album by Jim Noir. TambourineMan got dibs on our only copy of the album, so he eventually took it home. But he was gracious enough to keep it around the office for a good six months, so this, a disc from the Nick Lowe boxset, Belle and Sebastian's The Life Pursuit and the Jayhawk's Smile became the official theme music for our office.

Even still, it somehow skipped out of my memory when I compiled my best of list for that year. What was I thinking? I eventually owned it in 2007.

It took me a while to figure out which song I wanted to highlight today since they're all a lot of fun, but I settled on this "Eanie Meany," because its the most repetitive, funny and relateable. Jesus, just tell me how to spell "relatable," someone!!!

If you don't give my football back, I'm gonna get my dad on you
I only kicked it over your fence and broke a silly gnome or two

Eanie meany, run away
Eanie meany run away

You love it, right? I've never read the liner notes but I assume by the nature of the production style, that its this Jim Noir guy playing and singing everything. It just seems appropriate. This is what my music will sound like again one day. Just really nice.

Okay, I have to run. That said, let this song speak for itself. Or better yet, let this music video do the talking:

2 comments:

ricksterb said...

I'm surprised that you like this song so much. Even more than "My Patch"? I actually thought this was the worst song on that album. Certainly not better than the song having to do with umbrellas and rainy weather. To each their own, I guess.

Chris said...

Well, you're right. The turbulent weather song is the best, but I felt like this one best represented the feel of the album. "My Patch," I like, but I'd consider that one of the weaker tracks on the album.