Monday, December 10, 2007

Egg Bagels

"The only good thing about the weekend, baby, is that Monday's just two days away. C'mon boy!"

Name that lyric. So after secretly deciding that blogging on the weekend would be kinda the lame way to go, I just quietly counted the seconds until I could type some more words into my little space here.

This weekend, we finally got the big Egg Babies/Eric and Bovie artshow off of the ground. For once, Eric and Bovie are their actual names. I didn't really see a point in giving them pseudonyms. But now that I've brought it up, let's call them Arty and Painty. This was Arty's first show ever or at least since he was required to include things at school-sponsored things at MICA. Well, it shouldn't have taken him this long. The other friends and I have always encouraged him to do more with his talents. So after years of pulling his hair to work up some album covers and show flyers...Painty was finally the one that convinced him to do a joint show. And it worked like gangbusters. They shared materials, so that from a distance, you couldn't necessarily tell that they were two different artists. Of course, as you approached, you could see the obvious Paintyisms versus the obvious Artyisms. My one complaint is that Arty had promised me a life-size painting of a man on stilts rescuing a cat from a tree. Didn't happen.

As for the Egg Babies, we lucked ourselves into another insanely well attended show thanks to the draw of the art, the Good Guise and J-Roddy Walston & The Business. And, also, as luck would have it, the crowd was quite attentive and gave us all sorts of cheers at all of the appropriate times. To complete the trilogy of luck, a kind soul had recorded the set, so I just got through listening to it.

Now, after the last show, we received a copy of the set and it was quite a humbling listen. Not that we were terrible...just that there's a certain amount of Eggdrenaline (sorry) that runs through us on stage and we think we're infallible. So, after that one, I had expected the worst, but low and behold, we actually played pretty well. Of course, I've pinpointed a problem area in each song, but overall, it was a real party set. Our new female singer was really freaking great and she added a nice counterpoint to that typical Chris Sound that everyone's come to expect. And after the way "Holiday Road" was sounding at practice all week, its a real wonder that we somehow convinced 200 people to sing along to the chorus with us.

So, its nice to have that eggshausting (sorry again) week of practicing over again. I have a throat issue that I'm hoping to resolve before the band takes a lucky contest winner out on a romantic date next week.

Okay, that's all I've got.


No comments: