Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Songtown - Vol. 13 (He'd Be A Diamond)

Artist: The Bevis Frond
Song: He'd Be A Diamond
Album: New River Head
Year: 1990
Download



So, there's something sad that I've realized recently. I've written about twelve of my favorite songs so far, but as I look back over them, I feel like I never want to hear any of them ever again. The same goes for all of the songs that the Egg Babies have ever covered. Whenever these songs pop up on the iPod, I immediately skip to the next track. This is sad, right? Look what I've done to myself.

Anyhow, here's to another one down the drain...

As is a recurring theme, I first heard "He'd Be A Diamond" because Teenage Fanclub recorded it as a b-side for their "I Don't Want Control Of You" single. With your assumption deemed correct that I think this song is the bomb and intercourse, I obviously had to track down the original.

Thus, I found the Bevis Frond. I can't say that I like the Bevis Frond very much. I've had their album New River Head (their "masterwork") for seven or eight years now, yet this is still the only song that has found its way onto my iPod. I've read that Mr. Bevis Frond, Nick Saloman, is considered Britain's answer to Robert Pollard. A prolific songwriter with a ton of output, albeit with most of it teetering on the wrong side of the self-indulgent line. With a lot more psychedlic guitar solos.

But it doesn't matter what else he's written, because "He'd Be A Diamond" is a song that he can hang his hat on for the rest of eternity. Its a song filled with an endless stream of metaphors that describe the idea of being in a relationship that's run its course. No matter how hard you try to let bygones be bygones, there are some things that you just can't keep in the past. ("When you turn your back, you still see what's behind you/When you start up fresh, you still think of days gone by"). At the focus of the song, here's this dude who's had too many chances. He treats his girl like crap, and uses her for beer, dope and her ironing prowess. Every time she cuts him loose, he wins her back by promising to be a diamond next time. Speaking of promises, I promise you that this will be the first and last time that you'll hear words like "when you blow your nose, it still gets blocked up and runs" and be totally moved by them.

This is really great, isn't it??!? And I still love it!

No comments: