Thursday, January 10, 2008

Financial Advisor

Typically, the tellers at my bank are very friendly and they go about their business in a "If you don't talk to me, I won't talk to you" kind of way. The way I like it.

That's why it was weird today, when at the end of our transaction, my teller asked "Would you like to sit down with one of our financial advisors?" in a hushed voice of speaking. Except she said it so quietly, that I responded with what, in retrospect, was an over-the-top "What?!?" She repeated herself. I smiled and said no. Then with an incredulous frown, she asked, "Are you sure?" I repeated my answer. And that was it.

Do you think the powers-that-be are pushing all tellers to ask this now? Or do they put red flags on the accounts of people who's balance stays quid pro quo no matter what calendar month or year it is? Or is it because my previous transaction was giving $xxxx.xx to a credit card company? Is it because I believe that x is a number?

No. More than likely it was because the check I was cashing today was for the amount of $2.99. It was a rebate check for some Motrin that I'm sure either my mother or grandmother bought and sent into the rebate center in my name and address, knowing that every little bit helps in a young gent's life. This happens frequently enough that I've stopped asking questions when a mysterious check for a couple dollars shows up in my mailbox and instead just thank the rebate gods for the extra income.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

oh my god. that's adorable -- not to mention a good idea that i'll steal, once i have children & grandchildren.