Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Today's Random Memory

In the spring of 2000, I didn't have a job, I didn't have a girlfriend and I'm pretty sure that I didn't go to school either.

So, why not take a car ride to NYC with the mother, grandmother, brother and sister-in-law to see True West, a two man show starring Philip Seymour Hoffman and John C. Reilly as dysfunctional brothers. The age-old battle of the fuck-up verses the straight-lacer. The clever part about that the production was that PSH and JCR had both parts prepared, so that any given audience hadn't a clue who would be playing whom when they entered the theatre.

On paper, I would have cast Hoffman as the straight man, and Reilly as the wild and crazy guy. Well, we got the opposite. We also had front row seats and PSH sweated and spat on us for 75 minutes! It was great! Then in 2002, when Hoffman played "wild and crazy" in Punch-drunk Love...I said, "I've seen him do that before!"

Okay. The End.

No comments: