Tuesday, December 4, 2007

The Bradys and Partridges

Let's talk about the Patridge Family for a while.

First and foremost, I'll acknowledge that I also appreciate the Patridges' brothers-and sisters-in-arms The Brady Bunch. The Bradys (Bradies?) have some great tunes. Its a Sunshine Day ...Merry Go Round...Time To Change...Candy (Sugar Shoppe) ("sippin' milkshakes in the hot sun!").



Like I said, great songs! But c'mon, they're just a bunch of kids! Okay, I'm not making my point here. The Brady Bunch...there's nothing bad that I can say about them. Maybe they're too cutesy? That's one thing.

Now...the Patridges. Man, that David Cassidy is a Godsend. I spent my middle school years infatuated with the guy. I forget what it was called, but I remember going with my mother and grandmother to see him and Petula Clark in some musical that involved a recurring theme about how Pet-Clark was superstitious about making sure that shoes were never placed on top of a table. Bad luck. And low and behold, either D-Cass or his brother put his shoes on the table and got hit by a truck or something.

So, I Think I Love You and C'Mon Get Happy...yeah, that stuff's good, but don't pigeon-hole the Fam as being too bubblegum for their own good. Give I'll Meet You Halfway a chance...oh and listen to Cassidy's spoken word verse starting at 1:41 in Doesn't Somebody Want To Be Wanted? So much more genuine and convincing, then, say, Elvis' sapfest in Are You Lonesome?.

I could never pull that off.

Just give the family a chance.

No comments: