Monday, December 17, 2007

Christmas Shopping Done!

The first of my frantic thoughts this morning was that I haven't done a lick of Christmas shopping yet. Now, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just cut my losses and tell my mom and dad that I'll catch up with them next time around?

You see, I like the idea of Christmas presents and I especially like the idea of buying less merchandise and more experience. Ever since I began the streamlining process of my life and belongings, I can't, in good conscience, bring myself to buy any clutterish item for anyone that I love. Plus, they're getting clutter from everyone else, anyhow. In the instance of my mother, my brother and I have already given her the gift of a bunch of junk out in the garage that we were too lazy to root/route through when we moved out. Perhaps my gift will be to remove all of that junk from the garage? Probably still lazy though.

The problem is that I'm all out of good ideas. I'd settle for merchandise at this point. For the first time, I asked my mother what she wanted and she said she'd be satisfied with some Starbucks gift cards. Well, its nice that I asked, but I'm not quite at the point in my life where I'll settle for buying someone a gift that they explicitly told me that they wanted. I prefer that they give me the occasional hints and I have to use my beautiful mind to put the tips together.

Okay, if you believe me or not, it's inconsequential to me, but...During the process of typing this entry, I've recalled one possible idea for each of my two (!) parents.

For my dad...well, he's going to be spending a lot of time in Norfolk over the next year for work stuffs. So much time that he's even rented an apartment there. So, my idea isn't too specific yet, but there's gotta be a lead here somewhere. Something perfect for a one year apartment rental? Some sort of gift certificate to some sort of premiere Norfolk dining establishment? Any Norfolkers in the audience?

For my mom, she's in love with the Ace of Cakes. Even if I would have looked into this three months ago, I know it would have been foolish for me to expect them to be available to bake my mother a Muppets themed cake for Christmas. That said, its a great idea for her birthday in June, right? Well, no, because they're already booked for the week leading up to her birthday. Shoot.

As for you, my lovely friends? Well, I'm taking you to Chile's again and will be flipping the cost for however many funny colored drinks that your little heart could desire.

No comments: